Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Colmar Manor in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Spring House

 
 
Old Spring House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, January 28, 2008
1. Old Spring House Marker
Inscription.  This venerable building dates back to the year 1683, when one of the early colonists built his home on the overlooking hillside. The spring still feeds cool water to the trough inside the spring house. This was the only method available in those days for cooling milk, butter and other dairy products.

This land was a part of the original grant from Lord Baltimore to George Conn, and remained in the Conn family for more than 200 years. This is one of the oldest buildings standing in the state of Maryland.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1683.
 
Location. 38° 55.695′ N, 76° 57.161′ W. Marker is in Colmar Manor, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker can be reached from Bladensburg Road (Maryland Route 450) 0.2 miles west of 38th Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Marker is located within the Fort Lincoln Cemetery, just passed the mausaleum. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brentwood MD 20722, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. This Old Spring House / The Old Oak Tree (here, next to this marker);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
The Lincoln Oak (a few steps from this marker); Fort Lincoln (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Fort Lincoln (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Lincoln Mausoleum (about 300 feet away); Battle of Bladensburg (about 400 feet away); Barney Monument (about 400 feet away); Little Church of Fort Lincoln (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Colmar Manor.
 
Marker and Old Spring House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, January 28, 2008
2. Marker and Old Spring House
To the left of the spring house is the "Lincoln Oak" - subject of its own marker and also described on the plaque attached to the spring house.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 23, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 30, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,594 times since then and 236 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 30, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=5070

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2024