Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Highgrove in Riverside County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Highgrove Hydroelectric Plant

 
 
Highgrove Hydroelectric Plant Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Kindig, October 23, 2010
1. Highgrove Hydroelectric Plant Marker
Inscription.  The first commercially significant hydroelectric plant in California, designed and built by Gustavus Olivio Newman, went into service here in 1888. Utilizing the flow of the Riverside Water Company Canal to produce about 225 kilowatts of power used for the arc light illumination of downtown streets in Riverside and Colton. The plant was destroyed by fire in 1915.
 
Erected 1991 by Native Sons and Daughters of the Golden West, #296, #241 and #299; Billy Holcomb Chapter No. 1069, E Clampus Vitus; and Riverside County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 24.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkIndustry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1888.
 
Location. 34° 0.702′ N, 117° 20.4′ W. Marker is in Highgrove, California, in Riverside County. Marker is at the intersection of Iowa Avenue and Spring Street, on the right
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
when traveling south on Iowa Avenue. Marker overlooks the Upper Warm Springs Canal. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Riverside CA 92507, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trujillo Adobe (approx. 0.8 miles away); Agua Mansa Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); Harada House (approx. 2˝ miles away); Civilian War Workers Memorial (approx. 2.6 miles away); First Church of Christ Scientist (1900) (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Sutherland Fruit Co. (approx. 2.7 miles away); University Heights Junior High School (approx. 2.7 miles away); Riverside Art Center and Museum (approx. 2.7 miles away).
 
Regarding Highgrove Hydroelectric Plant. After the initiation of Riverside's municipal direct current power system in 1896, the Highgrove plant also supplied some electricity to San Bernardino. In 1898, alternating current generators replaced the original direct current generators. Later the plant was merged into the Southern California Edison Company and only remnants are there now. SOURCE: Billy Holcomb Chapter 1069 35th Anniversary Plaque Book by Phillip Holdaway
 
Highgrove Hydroelectric Plant Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Kindig, October 23, 2010
2. Highgrove Hydroelectric Plant Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 19, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Elk Grove, California. This page has been viewed 1,383 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 19, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Elk Grove, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=50704

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024