Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Cohutta in Whitfield County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Historic Red Clay

 
 
Historic Red Clay Marker Post image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 14, 2011
1. Historic Red Clay Marker Post
Inscription.  Red Clay, one mile W, was once an important Council Ground for the Cherokee Indians who called it “Red Earth Place.” During the War Between the States, on May 2, 1864, the 2nd Brigade, First Cavalry Division, Dept. of the Cumberland, U. S. Army, after a hard fight drove the Confederates from this town. It then became an important depot of supplies for Federal forces. A heavy force of Federals guarded this town to prevent Confederate raids from capturing valuable stores here. The Federal Army of Ohio, moving South toward Dalton passed through this town.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 155-34A.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1934.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 34° 58.882′ N, 84° 55.91′ W. Marker was near Cohutta, Georgia, in
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Whitfield County. Marker was at the intersection of Cleveland Highway (Georgia Route 71) and Wilson Caldwell Road, on the left when traveling north on Cleveland Highway. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Cohutta GA 30710, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Red Clay Council Ground (approx. 0.8 miles away in Tennessee); Civil War "No Man's Land" (approx. 2 miles away in Tennessee); Joseph Standing Monument (approx. 5.8 miles away); Water Turbine (approx. 6 miles away); Prater’s Mill and The Civil War (approx. 6 miles away); Prater's Mill (approx. 6 miles away); Prater’s Mill Store (approx. 6 miles away); Cotton Gin (approx. 6 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The marker has been missing since at least 1999. Text for the missing marker was taken from “Georgia Historical Markers” (Bay Tree Grove, Second Edition 1978) compiled by Carroll P. Scruggs from the records of the Georgia Historical Commission.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 24, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 933 times since then and 7 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on December 24, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of missing marker prior to disappearance. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=50867

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024