Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brandon in Rankin County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Old Brandon Cemetery

 
 
Old Brandon Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jeff Lovorn, August 30, 2011
1. Old Brandon Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  Established in the early 1830s, the old Brandon cemetery contains more than 1,000 graves, including two Mississippi governors, Robert Lowry (1881-1889) and Anselm McLaurin (1896-1900). Also buried here is postmaster and surveyor Thomas Shaw, educator Miss Frank Johnson, and Susie Blue Buchanan, a pioneering female attorney.
 
Erected 2006 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list.
 
Location. 32° 16.545′ N, 89° 59.485′ W. Marker is in Brandon, Mississippi, in Rankin County. Marker is on Old Depot Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Old Depot Road, Brandon MS 39042, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town Square (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rankin County War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rankin County Confederate Monument (approx.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
0.3 miles away); Rankin County Courthouses (approx. 0.3 miles away); Seminary Square (approx. 0.4 miles away); Drakes United Methodist Church (approx. 7 miles away); Centenary College (approx. 7.9 miles away); Pearl Methodist Church (approx. 8.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brandon.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia article on the Brandon Cemetery. (Submitted on March 24, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Old Brandon Cemetery marker at one of the gates to the cemetery. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, March 24, 2018
2. Old Brandon Cemetery marker at one of the gates to the cemetery.
Old Brandon Cemetery sign and cemetery graves. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, March 24, 2018
3. Old Brandon Cemetery sign and cemetery graves.
Plaque noting cemetery has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, March 24, 2018
4. Plaque noting cemetery has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2011, by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 889 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 26, 2011, by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi.   2, 3, 4. submitted on March 24, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=50906

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024