Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Leavenworth in Leavenworth County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The V.A. Medical Center Chapel

 
 
The V.A. Medical Center Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 12, 2011
1. The V.A. Medical Center Chapel Marker
Inscription.  
This unique chapel was built in 1893. Architect Louis Curtis[s] of Kansas City designed the structure after an old gothic chapel he had seen in England.

It has served veterans of all wars from the Mexican War (1848) on. The beautiful stained glass windows depict both religious and patriotic themes.

Protestant services are held in the upper level, Immanuel Chapel, and Catholic in the lower level, Holy Ghost Chapel.

Hours open are from dawn to dusk daily.
 
Erected 1985 by The Leavenworth County Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & ReligionForts and CastlesWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1893.
 
Location. 39° 16.622′ N, 94° 53.754′ W. Marker is in Leavenworth, Kansas, in Leavenworth County. Marker is on Frankin Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Marker is on the grounds of the Dwight D. Eisenhower VA Medical
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Center, 4104 South 4th Street (US Highway 73). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Leavenworth KS 66048, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Patrick C. Hawkins (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jeremy A. Katzenberger (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jeremy Lee Drexler (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ricky M. Rodgers (approx. 0.2 miles away); William J. Mulvihill (approx. 0.2 miles away); CPL David M. Unger (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Mary (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leavenworth.
 
Regarding The V.A. Medical Center Chapel. The Chapel is part of the buildings of the Western Branch of the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, originally built to care for aging Civil War veterans.
 
Also see . . .
1. VA National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, Western Branch. National Park Service entry (Submitted on December 26, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.) 

2. National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers: Assessment of Significance. National Park Service entry (Submitted on December 26, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.) 

3. NHDVS Western Branch Photos at Library of Congress. (Submitted on December 26, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
The V.A. Medical Center Chapel and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 12, 2011
2. The V.A. Medical Center Chapel and Marker
V.A. Medical Center Chapel Window image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 12, 2011
3. V.A. Medical Center Chapel Window
V.A. Medical Center Chapel Tower image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 12, 2011
4. V.A. Medical Center Chapel Tower
V.A. Medical Center Chapel Detail image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 12, 2011
5. V.A. Medical Center Chapel Detail
V.A. Medical Center Chapel Tower Drain image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 12, 2011
6. V.A. Medical Center Chapel Tower Drain
Unrestored Barracks Opposite V.A. Medical Center Chapel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., August 12, 2011
7. Unrestored Barracks Opposite V.A. Medical Center Chapel
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 583 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 26, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=50912

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024