Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
— Defenses of Washington 1861 - 1865 —
Erected 1965 by Arlington County, Virginia. (Marker Number 9.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Defenses of Washington series list.
Location. 38° 53.735′ N, 77° 5.32′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of Lee Highway (U.S. 29) and North Adams Street, on the right when traveling south on Lee Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Arlington Line (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort C.F. Smith (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Fort C.F. Smith (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Dawson-Bailey House (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also Fort C.F. Smith (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Fort C.F. Smith (approx. 0.4 miles away); Maywood (approx. half a mile away); Fort Woodbury (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
More about this marker. In the center of the marker is a map of the Washington Defenses, with a red (weathered) arrow pointing out the location of Fort Strong.
1. Fort Strong Particulars
From "Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington," by Benjamin Franklin Cooling III and Walton H. Owen II:
Originally called Fort DeKalb, the fort was renamed in honor of General George Crockett Strong, wounded in an assault of Battery Wagner, South Carolina, July 18, 1863. (Strong later died of lockjaw.)
With a perimeter of 318 yards and emplacements for 15 guns, it held the right side line of the Arlington defenses prior to the construction of Fort C.F. Smith. Armament included seven 24-pdr guns, one 24-pdr field howitzer, four 30-pdr Parrott rifles, one 6-pdr gun, and two 10-inch mortars.
Units manning Fort Strong at different times included the 97th New York Infantry, 1st Massachusetts Heavy Artillery, 4th New York Heavy Artillery, 164th Ohio Infantry, 16th Maine Infantry, 88th Pennsylvania Infantry, and 2nd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery.
— Submitted February 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 3, 2008. This page has been viewed 1,923 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 3, 2008. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.