Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Vicksburg in Warren County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

South Central Bell

1881 - 1981

 
 
South Central Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jeff Lovorn, August 27, 2011
1. South Central Bell Marker
Inscription.  The first telephone exchange in Mississippi was installed in Vicksburg, January 10, 1881, at 102 ½ North Washington Street, by the Louisiana Telephone Company, a predecessor of South Central Bell.
 
Erected 1981 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Communications. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 10, 1962.
 
Location. 32° 21.108′ N, 90° 52.727′ W. Marker is in Vicksburg, Mississippi, in Warren County. Marker is at the intersection of Grove Street and Cherry Street, on the right when traveling west on Grove Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vicksburg MS 39183, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Natchez District (here, next to this marker); Vicksburg (within shouting distance of this marker); Men of Kindness (within shouting distance of this marker); Hard Times Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Remarkable Orator
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Mississippi Dental Association (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Federal Works Agency (about 300 feet away); Featherston-Magruder House (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vicksburg.
 
Regarding South Central Bell. Louisiana Telephone company changed its name in 1883 to the Great Southern Telephone and Telegraph Company, then in 1898 the Cumberland Telephone & Telegraph Company. In 1913 Southern Bell takes over Cumberland Tel & Tel. In 1968 AT&T splits South Central Bell from Southern Bell. After this marker was cast, South Central Bell was reunited with Southern Bell in 1995. BellSouth followed and in 2006 BellSouth was merged into AT&T, today’s wire-line telephone company for Vicksburg.
 
South Central Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cleo Robertson, March 8, 2014
2. South Central Bell Marker
Old Warren County Court House Museum on hill above marker.
South Central Bell & Old Natchez District Markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cleo Robertson, March 8, 2014
3. South Central Bell & Old Natchez District Markers
Both markers are located on the south slope of the Old Court House Museum.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 31, 2011, by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 699 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 31, 2011, by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi.   2, 3. submitted on March 9, 2014, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=51183

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024