Wauwatosa in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Milwaukee County Asylum Cemetery
Between March 1880 and November 1914, a succession of four superintendents had the duty to oversee the Milwaukee County Asylum / Hospital for the Insane. Their administrations are as follows:
• Dr. James H. McBride, March 1880 – August 1884
• Dr. F.B. Scribner, August 1884 – November 1885
• Dr. A.J. Hare, November 1885 – June 1888
• Dr. Moses J. White, June 1888 – November 1914
During Dr. White’s long and compassionate tenure of 27 years, many innovative programs were implemented, including proper care and burial of the unfortunate patients who died alone and without family to claim them.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Science & Medicine.
Location. 43° 3.06′ N, 88° 1.646′ W. Marker is in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker can be reached from North 87th Street half a mile north of West Watertown Plank Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located near the western parking area of the County Grounds Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9480 W Watertown Plank Rd, Milwaukee WI 53226, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Milwaukee County Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Charles Hart Homestead (approx. 0.6 miles away); “Sunnyhill Home” (approx. ¾ mile away); First Congregational Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Church Street Historic District (approx. 0.9 miles away); Thomas Benjamin Hart House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Harts Mills (approx. 0.9 miles away); Dittmar-Robertson Building (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wauwatosa.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 9, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,273 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 9, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.