Kosciusko in St. Louis, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Erected 1874 by Lyon Monument Association.
Topics. This memorial is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 38° 35.6′ N, 90° 12.65′ W. Marker is in St. Louis, Missouri. It is in Kosciusko. Memorial is on South Broadway, on the right when traveling north. The monument to General Nathanial Lyon is located at the center of Lyon Park which borders Broadway Boulevard and Arsenal Street. Lyon Park is located between the Budweiser Brewery and the Old Armory. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3100 S Broadway, Saint Louis MO 63118, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Louis Arsenal (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named St. Louis Arsenal (about 600 feet away); This cake commemorates (approx. ¼ mile away); A Wealthy Suburb (approx. 0.3 miles away); 3322 DeMenil Place (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Site Brewhouse (approx. 3319 DeMenil Place (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Site (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Louis.
More about this marker. In 1868, the city of St Louis sought to acquire the present site of Lyon Park, which was the western portion of the grounds of the St. Louis Arsenal. An Act of Congress on March 3, 1869 granted that section of the grounds between Fourth Street and Carondelet Avenue to the city as a public park. The grant was made on the condition that the city build a monument to General Nathaniel Lyon within three years. The grounds were transferred to the City in September, 1871.
A movement to erect an equestrian statue of Nathaniel Lyon, who was killed in the Civil War battle of Wilson's Creek in 1861, was started by survivors of the War in 1865 and $15,000 was raised by public subscription and a grant from the County Court in 1868. Three years later, the idea of a statue was abandoned in favor of a granite obelisk. This 28-foot shaft of Missouri granite was dedicated on September 13, 1874 in Lyon Park, the site being the spot where Gen. Lyon organized his military division for the campaign in Western Missouri, and where
The monument was reported to have been decorated with a bronze medallion of a relief portrait of Lyon on its west side and on the east side a similar medallion containing a classic figure symbolizing war and peace.
Neither medallion was present on photos of the monument taken June 2011.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2023. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2011, by Mike Camero of Edwardsville, Illinois. This page has been viewed 1,548 times since then and 70 times this year. Last updated on January 9, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Elk Grove, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 3, 2011, by Mike Camero of Edwardsville, Illinois. 5. submitted on October 1, 2020, by Carl Scott Zimmerman of Kirkwood, Missouri. 6. submitted on August 27, 2020, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.