Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
— Defenses of Washington 1861 - 1865 —
Erected 1965 by Arlington County, Virginia. (Marker Number 18.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Defenses of Washington series list.
Location. 38° 50.967′ N, 77° 5.569′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of South Pollard Street and South Walter Reed Drive, on the left when traveling south on South Pollard Street. Marker is located at Fort Barnard Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2101 South Pollard Street, Arlington VA 22204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mt. Zion Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Drew School (approx. 0.4 Dr. Roland Herman Bruner (approx. 0.4 miles away); Macedonia Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Berry (approx. half a mile away); Origins (approx. half a mile away); Welcome to Jennie Dean Park (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Welcome to Jennie Dean Park (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
More about this marker. In the center of the marker is a map of the Washington Defenses, with a red (weathered) arrow pointing out the location of Fort Barnard.
1. Fort Barnard Particulars
From Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, by Benjamin Franklin Cooling III and Walton H. Owen II:
The fort was located in the southeast section of the modern day Fort Barnard Park, near Oxford Street. It was named for Maj. Gen. John Gross Barnard, who designed the defenses of Washington. First built in the fall of 1861, the fort covered Four Mile Run, and connected with Fort Reynolds to the south and Fort Berry to the north.
With a 250 yard perimeter, the fort contained 20 gun emplacements. Armament included three 8-inch howitzers, five 32-pdr guns, three 24-pdr guns, three 24-pdr field howitzers, three 30-pdr Parrott rifles, one 10-inch mortar, and one 24-pdr Coehorn mortar. Detachments of the 3rd New York Artillery, 14th Massachusetts Infantry, 166th Ohio National Guard, and the 1st Connecticut Heavy Artillery garrisoned the fort at different times.
An additional outer battery stood near the end of South Pollard Street, and those works may still be visible. In addition some rifle pits were reported along 22nd Street.
— Submitted February 4, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2008. This page has been viewed 2,327 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 4, 2008. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.