Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Fairfield in Freestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Butler Soldiers' Homes, C.S.A.

 
 
Butler Soldiers' Homes, C.S.A. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Gustafson, October 10, 2010
1. Butler Soldiers' Homes, C.S.A. Marker
Inscription.  Commissioners courts in Texas usually furnished to soldiers enlisting in the Civil War their uniforms, guns, blankets--and sometimes even their horses. The county courts also aided dependents, war orphans and widows. Further, they recognized local people who had 'soldiers' homes,' and reimbursed them for meals given men en route to and from the army on furloughs and special missions. Freestone County had at least 11 soldiers' homes. Near this site, one of 2 in Butler was run by Hillary Manning, a plantation owner.

A soldiers' home usually was set up as an act of neighborliness. The Rev. Thomas Castleton, who lived near Houston, organized many homes. Also he commended the people of Butler, Fairfield, Golaid and Hillsboro for setting up soldiers' homes of their own accord. At Christmas in 1864, Rev. Castleton received for the benefit of the soldiers donations of $100 in gold, 3 beef animals and 2 milch cows, gifts of private citizens supporting the work. He also was given a 3-story brick hotel to be used as a soldiers' home.

Other soldiers' homes were at Columbus, Crockett, Palestine and Richmond (Fort Bend County) like many
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
other productive activities carried on voluntarily, these homes showed the concern of Texas for her men.
 
Erected 1965 by State historical survey committee. (Marker Number 9863.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1864.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 31° 39.899′ N, 95° 55.625′ W. Marker was near Fairfield, Texas, in Freestone County. Marker was on State Highway 84, 1.7 miles Farm to Market Road 489, on the left when traveling east. In a roadside park. just before FCR 301. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: roadside park, Fairfield TX 75840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 12 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Site of Woodhouse School (approx. 9.9 miles away); Lewis Corner (approx. 10.3 miles away); Mt. Pisgah Church and Cemetery (approx. 10˝ miles away); Site of Old Magnolia (approx. 11.4 miles away).
 
Butler Soldiers' Homes, C.S.A. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Gustafson, October 10, 2010
2. Butler Soldiers' Homes, C.S.A. Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 15, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,143 times since then and 18 times this year. Last updated on January 15, 2012, by Debbie Lee Bohannan of San Antonio,, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 15, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=51647

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024