Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Veterans Memorial

 
 
Veterans Memorial Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, December 26, 2011
1. Veterans Memorial Marker
Inscription.  Among burials in this area are William P. Canby, U.S.N. and other Americans who died in the defense of the city in the Battle of New Orleans and the defeat of the British Army, January 8, 1815
 
Erected 1984 by New Orleans Archdiocesan Cemeteries.
 
Topics. This historical marker memorial is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesWar of 1812. A significant historical date for this entry is January 8, 1815.
 
Location. 29° 57.579′ N, 90° 4.312′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on Basin Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 429 Basin Street, New Orleans LA 70112, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In the Protestant Section (here, next to this marker); Eliza Lewis (here, next to this marker); Protestant Section (here, next to this marker); Claiborne Tomb (a few steps from this marker); Closures – Grillwork (within shouting distance of this marker); Orleans Battalion of Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); Bernard de Marigny
Veterans Memorial Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, December 26, 2011
2. Veterans Memorial Marker
The central stone reads: To the memory of those who fell in the Battle of New Orleans January 8, 1815 Erected by the LA Society U.S.D. 1776 - 1812
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Homer Adolph Plessy (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
 
More about this memorial. This marker is located in the Protestant Section of Saint Louis Cemetery No. 1. St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 is bound by Basin, St. Louis, Conti and Treme Streets with the main entrance on Basin Street. Established in 1789 it is the oldest extant cemetery in New Orleans.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 18, 2017. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 523 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 15, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=51649

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2021