Fort Collins in Larimer County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
1858 - 1936
faculty between 1883 and 1888,
Elwood Mead established the first instruction
in irrigation engineering to be
offered by an American college or university.
This work provided the foundation for
Colorado State University's
internationally recognized reputation in
water-related research, teaching and service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Science & Medicine.
Location. 40° 34.495′ N, 105° 4.952′ W. Marker is in Fort Collins, Colorado, in Larimer County. Marker can be reached from Isotope Drive near West Drive, in the median. Located in front of the Physics Lab, between Glover Building and Warner College of Natural Resources Research Lab, Colorado State University Campus. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Collins CO 80521, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Historic Fort Collins Weather Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Donated Land for the Agricultural College (approx. 0.3 miles away); The William C. Stover House (approx. Antoine Janis Cabin (approx. 0.8 miles away); Auntie Stone Cabin (approx. 0.8 miles away); Carnegie Library (approx. 0.8 miles away); Blunck House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mosman House (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Collins.
Regarding Elwood Mead. Lake Mead, formed by the construction of the Hoover Dam on the Colorado River, was named for him.
Also see . . . Elwood Mead (January 16, 1858 – January 26, 1936) was a professor, politician and engineer,. known for heading the Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) from 1924 until his death in 1936... he started work as a professor by teaching mathematics at Colorado Agriculture College from 1883 until 1884, and again from 1886 to 1888. ... (Submitted on February 7, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 7, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 736 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 7, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.