Navy Yard in Southeast Washington in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Center for Naval History - The Navy Museum
The Center for Naval History
The Dudley Knox Center for Naval History is housed in the complex of buildings adjacent to the Leutze Park and extending down Dahlgren Avenue. Building 57, which was erected in 1866 as a warehouse, was enlarged in 1899, and from the 1920's to World War II housed offices of the Naval Ordnance School. Also housing ordnance activity in this complex were Building 44, constructed in 1890, and Building 108, constructed in 1902. The later was expanded during World War I by the addition of a third floor.
The center is managed by the Director of Naval History and contains the Naval Department Library, the Early History, Contemporary History, Curator, Ships' History, and Operational Archives branches. The library holds one of the largest collections of books on naval subjects in the country, while the Operational Archives maintains the Navy's most important operational records dating from the beginning of World War II until the present. Also located within the center are the facilities of the Naval Historical Foundation, a private non-profit organization dedicated to preserving the heritage of the United
The Navy Museum
The Navy Museum which opened in 1963 is housed in Building 76, the former 600-foot-long Breech Mechanism shop of the Old Navy Gun Factory. The north end of the building was erected in the late nineteenth century and the southern portion was added in 1899. A 400-foot addition on the northern end, used for fitting liners and reinforcing hoops to gun barrels, was removed in the 1970s. The Museum contains exhibits which commemorate the Navy's wartime heroes and battles and peacetime contributions in the fields of science, diplomacy, and humanitarian service.
Erected by Washington Navy Yard.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Military • Notable Events • War, World II • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1866.
Location. 38° 52.496′ N, 76° 59.691′ W. Marker is in Southeast Washington in Washington, District of Columbia. It is in Navy Yard. Marker is at the intersection of Dahlgren Avenue Southeast and Kidder Breese Street Southeast, on the right when traveling south on Dahlgren Avenue Southeast. Marker is inside the Washington Navy Yard, at the southwest corner of Leutze Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 805 Kidder Breese Street Southeast, Washington Navy Yard DC 20374, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Dudley Knox Center for Naval History (a few steps from this marker); Naval Historical Foundation (within shouting distance of this marker); Optical Tower - Second Officers House (within shouting distance of this marker); Navy Department Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Leutze Park - Marine Corps Historical Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Leutze Park Gun Collection (within shouting distance of this marker); Second Officer's House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Washington Navy Yard (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Southeast Washington.
More about this marker. On the lower left is a photo of a Crowd gathered in Leutze Park for a bond drive during World War I. The building in the background presently houses the Dudley Knox Center for Naval History. On the lower right is a photo of Building 76 taken about 1961 shortly before it was renovated for The Navy Museum.
Additional keywords. National Museum of the U.S. Navy
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2023. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,657 times since then and 42 times this year. Last updated on February 11, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 11, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 11, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 7. submitted on August 10, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.