Hartford in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
The Safe Arrival
In June 1636, about one hundred members of Thomas Hooker's congregation arrived safely in this vicinity. With one hundred and sixty cattle, they had followed old Indian trails from the Massachusetts Bay Colony to the Connecticut River to build a new community. Here they established the form of government upon which the present Constitution of the United States is modeled.
Their deeply religious principles found expression in the emblem and motto of the seal which the colony soon adopted. The seal of the State of Connecticut still bears the transplanted grapevines and the legend, "Qui Transtulit Sustinet."
This statue honoring the spirit of all pioneers, is dedicated to the Founders of Hartford. It commemorates the beginning of the second century of service by the Travelers Insurance Companies.
April 1, 1964
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1892.
Location. 41° 45.867′ N, 72° 40.387′ W. Marker is in Hartford, ConnecticutTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: One Tower Square, Hartford CT 06103, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Abel Buel (within shouting distance of this marker); The Wadsworth Barn (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hartford Courant (within shouting distance of this marker); Center Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Hartford (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bob Steele (about 300 feet away); Frederick Douglass (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hartford.
Also see . . . Society of the Descendants Of the Founders of Hartford. (Submitted on February 12, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 12, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 642 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 12, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.