Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Fort Towson in Choctaw County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fort Towson

 
 
Fort Towson Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Manning, August 25, 2011
1. Fort Towson Marker
Inscription.  Established May, 1824, under command of Col. Matthew Arbuckle to guard this region of Spanish border. Headquarters of Gen. S.B. Maxey, U.S. Army. Abandoned at end of Civil War. In the vicinity, Doaksville was important trading center and one time capital of the Choctaw Nation. George Hudson, Principal Chief, 1860. Noted Choctaws including David Folsom and Robert M. Jones.
 
Erected 1995 by Oklahoma Historical Society. (Marker Number 184.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesNative AmericansSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 29, 1824.
 
Location. 34° 1.061′ N, 95° 15.24′ W. Marker is near Fort Towson, Oklahoma, in Choctaw County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 70 west of State Route 209, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Towson OK 74735, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Towson Landing (here, next to this marker); Native American Patriots Memorial
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.6 miles away); Dorothy Jane Orton (approx. 0.7 miles away); Transportation Crossroads (approx. ¾ mile away); Sutler Store (approx. ¾ mile away); Hospital and Commissary (approx. ¾ mile away); Barracks (approx. ¾ mile away); Officers' Row (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Towson.
 
More about this marker. Marker was moved from Fort Towson Historic Site (34° 1.665′ N, 95° 15.458′ W) on Fort Towson Historic Site Road (County Road E2060) one mile south to U.S. Highway 70.
 
Fort Towson Marker (on left) has been moved to U.S. Highway 70. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, October 21, 2019
2. Fort Towson Marker (on left) has been moved to U.S. Highway 70.
Fort Towson Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Manning, August 25, 2011
3. Fort Towson Marker
Fort Towson ruins image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Manning, August 25, 2011
4. Fort Towson ruins
View of Fort Towson Marker looking west on U.S. 70. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, October 21, 2019
5. View of Fort Towson Marker looking west on U.S. 70.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 12, 2012, by Michael Manning of Woodlawn, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 820 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 12, 2012, by Michael Manning of Woodlawn, Tennessee.   2. submitted on April 1, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.   3, 4. submitted on February 12, 2012, by Michael Manning of Woodlawn, Tennessee.   5. submitted on April 1, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=52576

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024