Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected by Arlington County, Virginia.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Defenses of Washington series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1861.
Location. 38° 51.904′ N, 77° 3.948′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker can be reached from South Arlington Ridge Road. Marker is located in Prospect Hill Park at junction of South Arlington Ridge Road and South Nash Street.Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1025 South Arlington Ridge Road, Arlington VA 22202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Prospect Hill (a few steps from this marker); Site of Arlington Chapel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Freedman’s Village (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Freedman's Village (approx. 0.4 miles away); Indian Warriors and Their Brothers (approx. 0.4 miles away); Robert Edwin Peary (approx. 0.4 miles away); Matthew Alexander Henson (approx. 0.4 miles away); U.S. Coast Guard Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
1. Fort Albany Particulars
From "Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington," by Benjamin Franklin Cooling III and Walton H. Owen II:
Constructed by New York troops starting in May 1861, it provided support to Forts Richardson, Craig, and Tillinghast, in addition to covering approaches to the Long Bridge. The perimeter of 429 yards allowed for 12 guns. Armament included four 24-pdr siege guns, two 24-pdr field howitzers, and two 30-pdr Parrotts. Four gun platforms were left empty. The enclosure contained magazines and bombproof barracks.
Units stationed at Fort Albany included
— Submitted February 9, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 9, 2008. This page has been viewed 2,854 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 9, 2008. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.