Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Del Rio in Val Verde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Camp Hudson, C.S.A.

 
 
Camp Hudson, C.S.A. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Zacharias Beau T, May 29, 2011
1. Camp Hudson, C.S.A. Marker
Inscription.  When U. S. Troops were surrendered at outbreak of Civil War, camp became Confederate frontier outpost 1861-1862 to guard military road, escort supply trains, curb hostile Indians. Manned by 2nd Texas Cavalry. Texas Confederate Troops used as supply base in route to and from New Mexico campaign to stop flow of gold to north and gain access to Pacific. Routine camp life prompted camp newspaper written to amuse troops who fervently desired to fight for Dixie. Located center of county on South Bank Devil's River.
 
Erected 1963 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 663.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
 
Location. 29° 21.572′ N, 100° 53.858′ W. Marker is in Del Rio, Texas, in Val Verde County. Marker is on Pecan Street, 0.3 miles south of East Garfield Street (U.S. 277), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 block of Pecan Street, Del Rio TX 78840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Elks Lodge Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Val Verde County Courthouse Square
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Sacred Heart Catholic Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Taini (about 500 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Del Rio (about 500 feet away); Old Del Rio National Bank Building (about 600 feet away); City of Del Rio (approx. 0.2 miles away); Max and Anna Stool (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Del Rio.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2012, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. This page has been viewed 650 times since then and 24 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on February 16, 2012, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings and close-up photo of reverse of marker. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=52680

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 17, 2022