Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lititz in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

In Memory of the Brave Soldiers of the Continental Army

 
 
In Memory of the Brave Soldiers of the Continental Army Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, February 9, 2008
1. In Memory of the Brave Soldiers of the Continental Army Marker
Inscription.  who died in this building when it was used by order of General Washington as a military hospital from Dec. 19, 1777 to Aug. 28, 1778. This tablet is erected by the Lititz Moravian Congregation
of the 450 men quartered here, there died 120, of whom 110 were buried near the eastern limit of the settlement.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionScience & MedicineWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington series list. A significant historical month for this entry is August 1778.
 
Location. 40° 9.356′ N, 76° 18.165′ W. Marker is in Lititz, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of E. Main Street and S. Water St., on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lititz PA 17543, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lititz Pharmacopoeia (here, next to this marker); Dedicated by the Sacramento Chamber of Commerce in Memory of John Augustus Sutter (here, next to this marker); The Heritage Center
Building used as hospital. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, February 9, 2008
2. Building used as hospital.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(here, next to this marker); Lititz Moravian Congregation (a few steps from this marker); Leichenkapellchen or Corpse House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pilgerhaus - 1754 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Linden Hall (about 300 feet away); On This Site in 1861 Julius Sturgis (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lititz.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 9, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,313 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 9, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=5273

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 25, 2022