Historic District - North in Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
John Wesley, 1703 - 1791
Founder of Methodism
On the "trust lot" south of President Street and immediately west of this square stood in 1736- 37 the parsonage in which John Wesley resided. In the adjoining garden he read, prayed and meditated. Weekly meetings of members of his Christ Church congregation were held in the small wooden dwelling. According to Wesley, "The first rise of Methodism was in 1729 when four of us met together at Oxford. The second was at Savannah in 1736 when twenty or thirty persons met at my house."
The monument here was dedicated in 1969. Wesley is depicted at the period of his Georgia ministry, wearing his Church of England vestments. The sculptor, Marshall Daugherty, says of this rendering: "The moment is as he looks up from his Bible toward his congregation about to speak and stretching out his right hand in love, invitation, and exhortation. In contrast, the hand holding the Bible is intense and powerful - the point of contact with the Almighty."
Erected 1969 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 025-88.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1729.
Location. 32° 4.752′ N, 81° 5.334′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. It is in the Historic District - North. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Abercorn Street and St. Julian Street. Located in Reynolds Square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Italians in Georgia's Genesis (here, next to this marker); Site of Filature (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named John Wesley (within shouting distance of this marker); Savannah: Colonial Capital and Birthplace of (within shouting distance of this marker); Wesley Chapel Trinity / John Wesley's American Parish (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ Church Parish House (within shouting distance of this marker); Lucas Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); The Oliver Sturges House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Related markers.list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, see previous markers
Also see . . . John Wesley. New Georgia Encyclopedia website entry (Submitted on January 11, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2023. It was originally submitted on February 9, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,851 times since then and 113 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 10, 2021, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. 2. submitted on August 27, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3, 4. submitted on November 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on February 9, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.