Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Benedict College, founded in 1870 by the American Baptist Home Mission Society to educate freedmen and their descendants, was originally called Benedict Institute. It was named for Stephen and Bathsheba Benedict of Rhode Island, whose bequest created the school. Mrs. Benedict donated money to buy land in Columbia for it. The institute was chartered as Benedict College in 1894. Its early presidents were all white Baptist ministers from the North.
By the time Dr. J.J. Starks became Benedict College’s first black president in 1930, its curriculum included primary and secondary courses, college ~ level liberal arts courses, and courses in theology, nursing, and teaching. This curriculum was streamlined in the 1930s to emphasize the liberal arts and theology. Benedict College was also a significant center for civil rights activities in Columbia from the 1930s through the 1960s.
Erected 2012 by The Historic Columbia Foundation, The City of Columbia, and the S.C. Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 40-147.)
Topics and series. This African Americans • Civil Rights • Education. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 34° 0.756′ N, 81° 1.312′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is at the intersection of Harden Street and Blanding Street, on the left when traveling south on Harden Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Matilda A. Evans House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carver Theatre (about 800 feet away); Allen University (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lighthouse & Informer / John H. McCray (approx. 0.2 miles away); Waverly (approx. 0.2 miles away); Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital (approx. ¼ mile away); Visanska-Starks House (approx. ¼ mile away); Cyril O. Spann Medical Office (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Regarding Benedict College. Although the marker states it was erected in 2008, it was not installed and unveiled until February 2012.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 18, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 812 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 18, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. 6. submitted on October 2, 2015. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.