Old Soldiers Home in Northwest Washington in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Born 13 June 1788 – Died 29 May 1866
General in Chief of the Army
1841 – 1861
Founder of the
United States Soldiers Home
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War of 1812 • War, Mexican-American • War, US Civil • Wars, US Indian. A significant historical date for this entry is May 29, 1866.
Location. 38° 56.272′ N, 77° 0.788′ W. Marker is in Northwest Washington in Washington, District of Columbia. It is in Old Soldiers Home. Marker is on Marshall Drive Northwest east of MacArthur Drive Northwest, on the right when traveling east. Marker is on the grass in front of the "SCOTT" statue, off the Marshall Drive loop, southeast of the main entrance to the Armed Forces Retirement Home compound off Rock Creek Church and Scott Roads Northwest. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3700 North Capitol Street Northwest, Washington DC 20011, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. U. S. Soldiers' Home (approx. ¼ mile away); President Lincoln’s Cottage at the Soldiers’ Home United States Soldiers' and Airmen's Home National Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Memorial Day Order (approx. half a mile away); Grant Circle was named in honor of Ulysses S. Grant (approx. half a mile away); All Veterans Garden (approx. half a mile away); The Zachary and Elizabeth Fisher House Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Ukrainian Catholic National Shrine (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Northwest Washington.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Additional keywords. "Old Fuss and Feathers"; Launt Thompson, sculptor; U.S. Military Asylum; Armed Forces Retirement Home; King Medical Center.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2023. It was originally submitted on February 19, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 934 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 19, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.