Melbourne in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 2005 by The Brevard County Historical Commission and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-538.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1884.
Location. 28° 4.816′ N, 80° 37.352′ W. Marker is in Melbourne, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker is at the intersection of Peachtree Street and West Strawbridge Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 50 West Strawbridge Avenue, Melbourne FL 32901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lincoln Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of First Permanent Log Cabin (approx. half a mile away); Land Yacht Port-O-Call (approx. 0.6 miles away); Melbourne Public Library (approx. 0.6 miles away); Henegar School Complex (approx. ¾ mile away); Tin Can Tourist Campground (approx. 0.9 miles away); Naval Air Station Melbourne (approx. 0.9 miles away); Little Red Schoolhouse (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Melbourne.
Regarding Holy Trinity. Text of Supplemental Marker
Holy Trinity Episcopal Church
This church was built on a 93-acre site purchased from Wright Brothers. The land, located on the south bank of Crane Creek, and the church were the gift of Lucy Boardman, a winter visitor from New Haven Connecticut.
G.J. Gingras of Cocoa and C.T. McBride built the church between July and November using virgin Georgia pine. The Rev. Dr. William P. DuBose, world famous theologian, dedicated the church on December 27, 1886.
In 1896, the church was moved to a new site, the gift of W.T. Wells, at U.S. 1 Highway and Fee Avenue. In 1963 it was moved to this site.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2017. It was originally submitted on February 24, 2012, by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. This page has been viewed 739 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 24, 2012, by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?