Lavaca was the first Calhoun County seat from 1846 to 1852, when Indianola assumed the role. The county seat was returned to Lavaca briefly during the Civil War, when the town withstood fire from Federal gunboats, then returned to Indianola. In 1886 Indianola was ravaged by a hurricane and Lavaca was again county seat.
With railroad expansion in Texas, Lavaca moved away from cattle and turned to seafood. Called Port Lavaca from the late 1880s, the village boomed. Tourism and the population increased; several factories were opened; the town became a general law city in 1909. The Gulf Intracoastal Waterway was connected to Port Lavaca in 1913 and a seawall was completed in 1920. Shrimp and frozen seafood became major items for export. Natural gas and oil were discovered in 1934 and 1935. From the late 1940s major manufacturing began to contribute
(1998) Incise on base: Erected by Calhoun County Historical Commission; George Fred Rhodes, Chairman
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1279.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
Location. 28° 38.226′ N, 96° 37.058′ W. Marker is in Port Lavaca, Texas, in Calhoun County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 35 and State Highway 238, on the right when traveling east on State Highway 35. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Lavaca TX 77979, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Halfmoon Reef Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Bombardment of Port Lavaca (approx. 1.3 miles away); Civil War Torpedo Works (approx. 1.3 miles away); Calhoun County Participation During World War II (approx. 1.7 miles away); Calhoun County Hurricanes (approx. 1.7 miles away); Howard Gallemore Hartzog, Sr. (approx. 1.7 miles away); Site of the Town of Linnville
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 2, 2012, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. This page has been viewed 560 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 19, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. 2. submitted on March 2, 2012, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. 3. submitted on March 19, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.