Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Freehold in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Historic St. Peterís Episcopal Church

 
 
Historic St. Peterís Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, March 2, 2012
1. Historic St. Peterís Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  
Listed on the New Jersey Register of Historic Places December 22, 1997
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places March 19, 1998
First Service – October 10, 1701
Construction begun on this site – July 1771
Restoration program 1996-2002
Made possible by grants from
The New Jersey Historic Trust, State of New Jersey
The Monmouth County Historical Commission
and the gifts of members and friends.

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is March 19, 1838.
 
Location. 40° 15.572′ N, 74° 16.567′ W. Marker is in Freehold, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Throckmorton Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 33 Throckmorton Street, Freehold NJ 07728, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Corp. James A. Gere (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Peterís Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Monmouth Court House Site (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Columbia Triumphant Park and Statue
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 800 feet away); Revolutionary Ancestors of Monmouth Court House (approx. ľ mile away); Monmouth Battle Monument (approx. ľ mile away); Battle of Monmouth Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Abraham Lincoln (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Freehold.
 
Historic St. Peterís Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, March 2, 2012
2. Historic St. Peterís Episcopal Church Marker
During the Revolutionary War, St. Peter's Church was used by the armies of each side. The Americans used the church as a barracks and an ammunition depot, while the British used it as a hospital during and after the June 18, 1778 Battle of Monmouth.
Historic St. Peterís Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, March 2, 2012
3. Historic St. Peterís Episcopal Church
The marker can be seen to the left of the door of the church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 2, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 626 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 2, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=53138

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024