Hartford in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Captain Joseph Wadsworth
Where You Are Standing
On October 31, 1687
Came Sir Edmund Andros to the
meeting house built on this site,
sent by the British Crown
to revoke Connecticut's Charter
and establish the Dominion of New England.
Captain Joseph Wadsworth, determined to
protect Connecticut's liberties,
stealthily removes the Charter from the room.
He tucks the precious document inside his cloak
and hurries through the night looking
for a safe hiding place.
Tradition says Wadsworth took the Charter
to a great tree a quarter mile from here
and placed it within its sturdy trunk.
Thus was born the Legend of the Charter Oak.
Joseph Wadsworth sculpture by Randy Nelson, 1996
Made possible through a grant from
The Hartford Courant Foundation.
Erected by The Hartford Courant Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Government & Politics. A significant historical date for this entry is October 31, 1687.
Location. 41° 45.98′ N, 72° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 Main Street, Hartford CT 06103, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas Hooker (here, next to this marker); Adrićn Block (here, next to this marker); Alexis de Tocqueville (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fundamental Orders of Connecticut (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tower Clock (within shouting distance of this marker); Old State House (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); Marquis de La Fayette (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hartford.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 3, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,154 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 3, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.