Downtown in Hartford in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Adrićn Block
A short distance from
where you are standing,
in 1614
Adriaen Block, captain of the ship Restless
sails up a river from the Atlantic Ocean
which native peoples of the region have named
"Quinnehtukqut", meaning the Great Tidal River,
and Block names "DeVersche, " Freshwater River.
His mission is to chart this land for
the Dutch West Indian Company.
The Dutch establish a fort near here in 1633
known as the House of Hope.
This marks the beginning of European
settlement in the Connecticut River Valley.
Adriaen Block sculpture by Randy Nelson, 1996
Made possible through a grant from
The Hartford Courant Foundation.
Erected by The Hartford Courant Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1614.
Location. 41° 45.98′ N, 72° 40.369′ W. Marker is in Hartford, Connecticut, in Hartford County. It is in Downtown. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Main Street and Central Row, on the right when traveling north. Located on the grounds of Connecticut's Old State House. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 Main Street, Hartford CT 06103, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Captain Joseph Wadsworth (here, next to this marker); Thomas Hooker (a few steps from this marker); Alexis de Tocqueville (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fundamental Orders of Connecticut (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tower Clock (within shouting distance of this marker); Old State House (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); Jonathan Trumbull (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hartford.
Also see . . . Adriaen Block on Wikipedia. (Submitted on March 3, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 10, 2023. It was originally submitted on March 3, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 813 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 3, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.