Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Jeremiah Kiersted Cady, Architect
— 1906 —
Designated September 21, 2002
Erected 2012 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 164.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Government & Politics • Women. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 21, 1833.
Location. 43° 4.521′ N, 89° 23.578′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane CountyTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 240 West Gilman Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Vietnam War protesters and police clashed here (a few steps from this marker); The Temperance Movement Battled Madison''s Breweries (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Braley House (about 400 feet away); Chi Phi Fraternity (about 600 feet away); Wootton - Mead House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Suhr House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grimm Book Bindery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chi Psi Lodge (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Woman's Building. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "The Woman's Building was built for the Woman's Club of Madison. Organized in 1893, the Club was the local manifestation of a nationwide women's movement during the Progressive Era. Not yet having the power to vote, women across the country organized Woman's Clubs to exercise their influence on local government. The Madison women's club had dramatic effects on local health and public safety issues, and was eventually able to establish a philanthropic committee to support local cultural programs."
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 4, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 509 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 4, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.