Edison in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Saint James Church
Piscatawaytown Burial Ground
St. James Episcopal Church was established in 1704. The original structure was built in 1724. In 1835 the church was destroyed by a tornado. It was rebuilt using as much of the original wood and fixtures as possible. The rear section was built in 1913. There was considerable military activity in the Piscatawaytown area in 1776/1777. Woodbridge Avenue was a main land artery for British communications and movement of supplies and troops. The British Army used St. James Church as a barracks and a hospital from December 1776 to June 1777. Battles were fought at or very near to the church. To the east of this monument is the common grave of British soldiers who died in the Revolutionary War. They were buried in the British breastworks (defensive trench) emplaced along the Post Road (now Woodbridge Ave.). At the request of the opposing American forces, the British also buried a number of American soldiers but their resting place is not known. The Piscatawaytown Burial Ground is one of the earliest in Middlesex County. The oldest readable monument is dated 1693. There are many American soldiers buried from several wars. The highest-ranking veteran
Dedicated September 11, 2004
Edison Historic Preservation Commission
George A. Spadoro – Mayor
Erected 2004 by Edison Historic Preservation Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 40° 30.038′ N, 74° 23.76′ W. Marker is in Edison, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Woodbridge Avenue and Myrtle Street, on the right when traveling east on Woodbridge Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2136 Woodbridge Avenue, Edison NJ 08817, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Raritan River (approx. one mile away); The Ravine Bridge (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Indian Trail (approx. 2.3 miles away); New Brunswick (approx. 2.4 miles away); New Brunswick Inn Site (approx. 2˝ miles away); Route Taken by Washington (approx. 2˝ miles away); Christ Church (approx. 2˝ miles away); Christ Church Parish (approx. 2˝ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 9, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 651 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on March 9, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.