Edison in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Reuben Ayers House
Oak Tree Pond Historic Park
For over 200 years, a farmhouse was located on this site. It was a simple one and one-half story house that had several additions over the years. The house was on a small hill, facing south, with a driveway leading down to New Dover Road. (Center photo 1964)
During the Revolutionary War, the house was owned by Reuben Ayers, who was in the local militia. At that time, the farm was 9 acres and was bounded by what is now (2009) New Dover Road, Marion Street and the JFK-Hartwick facility.
On June 26, 1777, during the Battle of the Short Hills, the house was looted by the British/Hessian forces, and the barn was burned down.
Over the years, the house changed hands a number of times, with the Campbell family owning it the longest.
The farm contained a unique feature, called a hay barrack (upper right photo 1933), which was used to store hay and had a movable roof. The house was demolished in 1968.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 40° 34.577′ N, 74° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Edison NJ 08820, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Oak Tree Engagement and the Battle of the Short Hills (within shouting distance of this marker); Oak Tree Pond (within shouting distance of this marker); The Oak Tree Neighborhood (within shouting distance of this marker); Police Athletic League Memorial Field (approx. 1.7 miles away); Quaker Meeting House (approx. 1.7 miles away); First Baptist Church of South Plainfield (approx. 1.9 miles away); Thomas Alva Edison Memorial Tower (approx. 2.1 miles away); Thomas Alva Edison Menlo Park Memorial (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edison.
More about this marker. Photos of the Reuben Ayers House and the hay barrack appear on the right side of the marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 9, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 533 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 9, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.