East Norwalk in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
commemorates the purchase from the aboriginal inhabitants, made
February 26, 1640-1, by
Deputy-Governor of the Colony of Connecticut,
framer of its first Code of Laws, and Founder of Norwalk,
of “All the lands, meadows, pasturinge, trees, whatsoever there is, and grounds betweene the twoe rivers, the one called Norwalke, the other Soakatuck, to the middle of sayed rivers, from the sea a days walke into the country.”
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1867.
Location. 41° 5.726′ N, 73° 23.945′ W. Marker is in East Norwalk, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Gregory Blvd. and Marvin Street, in the median on Gregory Blvd.. Marker is located in the middle of a traffic circle. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Norwalk CT 06855, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Marvin Property (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fitch’s Point (approx. A Habitat Renewed (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Birds (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mill Pond History (approx. 0.4 miles away); Taylor Farm Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); Norwalk Founded (approx. 0.7 miles away); A Calf Pasture Primer (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Norwalk.
More about this marker. Monument is made of Quincy granite and contains a bronze plaque of a relief image of Roger Ludlow trading beads with a group of Indians.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 12, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,024 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 12, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.