Near Griffin in Spalding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
John McIntosh Kell
Erected 1940 by Works Progress Administration.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War, Mexican-American • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series list.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 33° 19.933′ N, 84° 17.283′ W. Marker was near Griffin, Georgia, in Spalding Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Griffin GA 30223, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named John McIntosh Kell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Camp (approx. 3.8 miles away); a different marker also named Confederate Camp (approx. 4 miles away); Old McIntosh Road (approx. 4 miles away); Georgia Experiment Station (approx. 4.7 miles away); Founding of Griffin (approx. 5.8 miles away); Lewis Lawrence Griffin (approx. 6 miles away); The City of Griffin (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Griffin.
More about this marker. In 2001 the Georgia Historical Society installed a modern marker (see 11704) to replace the long-missing WPA marker. The text is taken from that modern marker.
Regarding John McIntosh Kell. The book “Griffin, Georgia: We Could Have Been Famous... Volume 2: Heroes, 1890-1949” by KyL T. Cobb, Jr. contains the following information about the featured marker and other markers. They were placed as part of the celebration of the centennial of the founding of Griffin, Georgia.
“June 18  was “Aviation Day” and it began with the presentation of three historical markers. One of the markers was at the home of John McIntosh Kell in Sunny Side. The other two markers were placed at Camp Stephens and Camp Milner. An air show was the featured event of the day.”
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 871 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 16, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Possibly a photo of the original marker that was here? • Can you help?