Lakeland in Polk County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Early in the 20th century the park served as an outdoor meeting place and center of public debate. Over the years the park has undergone several changes. In 1910 a Confederate monument was placed in the center of a circular walkway to honor those who died in the Civil War. Later ponds and gardens were added. In 1961, angular pattern walkways replaced the circle. A gazebo and the lighted, musical "waltzing waters" fountain were added features.
In 1989 the park was redesigned to enhance the character of the surrounding Munn Park Historic District. The redesign has taken the park back to the more simplistic "Town Square Era" in which the district
The City of Lakeland proudly rededicates this park to the residents of Lakeland and recognizes the contribution of the Lakeland Area Chamber of Commerce Visual Improvement Task Force which raised funds for the project. Throughout the park names of contributors are placed on items they purchased through the "Own a Piece of the Park" campaign. The City thanks all those who contributed to this community effort.
Erected by the City of Lakeland.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Parks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical year for this entry is 1884.
Location. 28° 2.657′ N, 81° 57.318′ W. Marker is in Lakeland, Florida, in Polk County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and Kentucky Avenue, on the left when traveling east on East Main Street. The marker is located at the southeast entrance to Munn Park in downtown Lakeland. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 East Main Street, Lakeland FL 33801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Munn Park Historic District (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Allen Kryger (about 500 feet away); ‘Mute Swan Protecting Her Cygnets’ (about 500 feet away); Polk Theatre and Office Building (about 700 feet away); The Oates BuildingSecond Mass. Infantry Camp (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Women's Club of Lakeland (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of the Camp of The 10th Cavalry, The “Buffalo Soldiers” (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lakeland.
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on the base of a column which supports one of several arched entryways to the park.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 18, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 942 times since then and 278 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 18, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.