Near Fairfax in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
From Battleground to Community
Union Loyalists at the Stewart Farm
Eleanor Stewart and her son Charles, who lived in a house on this site during the Civil War, were Union Loyalists in an area dominated by Southern supporters. Their neighbors called them “Yankees.” Proud of their beliefs, the Stewarts raised a Union flag over their house at the beginning of the war.
Federal troops used the house as a field hospital and encamped nearby. During the Battle of Ox Hill, on September 1, 1862, Confederate troops established lines of battle on a portion of the Stewart property located on the opposite side of the road.
How the Pender Community Began
As people began to settle on smaller lots in the Ox Hill area, especially at the intersection of present-day West Ox Road and Route 50, the need arose for a new post office. In 1890, a post office was established in Wilby J. French’s store. The post office was named Pender.
The community also had a blacksmith shop, located near French’s store, which was operated by Berkley Kidwell. Mr. Kidwell purchased the lot in 1883.
In 1907, the Methodist Episcopal Church of Pender began holding
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately series list. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1910.
Location. 38° 52.305′ N, 77° 22.353′ W. Marker is near Fairfax, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is at the intersection of Lee Jackson Memorial Highway (U.S. 50) and Fair Ridge Drive, on the right when traveling west on Lee Jackson Memorial Highway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 218 Fair Ridge Dr, Fairfax VA 22033, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Maryland (Antietam / Sharpsburg) Campaign (approx. 0.4 miles away); Battle of Ox Hill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Battle of Chantilly (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Ox Hill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Major General Philip Kearny (approx. half a mile away); Major General Isaac Ingalls Stevens (approx. half a mile away); Boulders and Quartz Stone (approx. half a mile away); Kearny and Stevens Monuments (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairfax.
More about this marker. On the left side of the marker is a photo captioned: Changes at a Glance • The Pender Community in 1837 • 1937 USDA Aerial Photo Courtesy Fairfax County Park Authority.
On the upper right of the marker is a photo captioned: Pender School was built across the street from the Stewart house in 1900. The first teacher was Fannie Stewart. Photo ca. 1907 Courtesy Lee Hubbard.
On the lower right is a portrait captioned: General William Dorsey Pender • The crossroads community of Pender was named after Gen. William Dorsey Pender, who led troops near here during the Battle of Ox Hill. Photo Courtesy Library of Congress.
Also see . . . Biography of General William Dorsey Pender. (Submitted on March 18, 2012.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 18, 2012. This page has been viewed 1,418 times since then and 110 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 18, 2012. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.