Two Rivers in Manitowoc County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
— Wisconsin's Maritime Trails —
Built: 1882, George Presley, Cleveland, Ohio
Sank: December 13, 1904
Length: 245' Beam: 36'
Cargo: Iron Ore
Depth of Wreckage: 15'
The wreck of the steam-powered bulk freighter Continental lies about a mile north of the Rawley Point Lighthouse.
After 22 years on the Great Lakes, the Continental met her fate in a blinding snowstorm. Early on a December morning in 1904, the Continental was steaming south past Twin Rivers Point (now Rawley Point), on her way to Manitowoc for the winter. Disoriented in the storm, the captain mistakenly steered toward shore. Without a cargo, the ship rode high in the water, and she approached shore at high speed. She finally hit a sand bar and slid far onto it. All 20 crew made their way safely to shore with help from local fishermen.
Tug boats tried to pull the Continental free, but she had grounded too hard. Over the winter, the power of expanding and shifting ice destroyed the vessel.
Today, the Continental sits in 15 feet of water. In periods of low water, the cylinder heads of her compound
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails series list.
Location. 44° 8.997′ N, 87° 33.4′ W. Marker is in Two Rivers, Wisconsin, in Manitowoc County. Marker is on Zlatnik Drive north of 18th Street, on the right when traveling north. Located along the Lake Michigan shoreline within Point Beach State Forest. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Two Rivers WI 54241, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Schooner Rouse Simmons (here, next to this marker); Two Rivers' North Pier Lighthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Steamer Vernon (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Luke School (approx. half a mile away); St. Luke Catholic Church (approx. half a mile away); St. Luke Rectory (approx. half a mile away); St. Luke Convent (approx. half a mile away); Galecki Building (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Two Rivers.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 19, 2012, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. This page has been viewed 681 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 19, 2012, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. 2, 3. submitted on July 19, 2013, by Peter Rotter of Manitowoc, Us. 4, 5. submitted on March 19, 2012, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. 6, 7. submitted on March 20, 2012, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.