Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lamar in Aransas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Lamar Cemetery

 
 
Lamar Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Norman Frank, March 19, 2012
1. Lamar Cemetery Marker
Marker is deteriorating and is difficult to read.
Inscription.  This burial ground originally served pioneer settlers of the Lamar community. Founded by James W. Byrne (d. 1865), a native of Ireland and a veteran of the Texas Revolution, it was named for his friend Mirabeau B. Lamar, former President of the Republic of Texas. The earliest grave is that of Patrick O’Connor (1822 – 54), a bookkeeper for Byrne’s business operations in New Orleans. The town of Lamar ceased to exist by 1915 and the cemetery was neglected until the 1940s when it was restored through efforts by the family of John Henry Kroeger, Jr. (d. 1944)
Donated by The Lamar Woman's Club

 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5368.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1915.
 
Location. 28° 8.585′ N, 96° 59.336′ W. Marker is in Lamar, Texas, in Aransas County. Marker can be reached from Hagy Drive, 0.1 miles east of Charlotte Avenue, on the left when traveling east. The cemetery is opposite the Fire
Entrance to Lamar Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Norman Frank, March 19, 2012
2. Entrance to Lamar Cemetery
Click or scan to see
this page online
Station. The marker is inside the cemetery near the graves of John and Mary Fagan. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 222 Hagy Dr, Rockport TX 78382, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Fagan (a few steps from this marker); Stella Maris Chapel (a few steps from this marker); Site of the Town of Lamar (approx. half a mile away); Lamar Volunteer Fire Department (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mills Wharf (approx. 1.2 miles away); Site of One of the Homes of James Power (approx. 3.4 miles away); Rockport Air Force Station (approx. 4.8 miles away); Aransas County Airport (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lamar.
 
John & Mary Fagan Gravesite in Lamar Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Norman Frank, March 19, 2012
3. John & Mary Fagan Gravesite in Lamar Cemetery
Shellcrete was used to make the sides of the gravesite.
Lamar Cemetery Brochure image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Norman Frank, March 19, 2012
4. Lamar Cemetery Brochure
The Lamar Cemetery entrance and Bell Tower image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Heinich, July 7, 2014
5. The Lamar Cemetery entrance and Bell Tower
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 19, 2012. This page has been viewed 919 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 19, 2012.   5. submitted on July 11, 2014, by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=53713

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 27, 2022