Town of Polk in Washington County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Schubert Cheese Factory
Town of Polk, Wisconsin
Schubert’s was one of four cheese factories within one and one-half miles and was well known for its brick cheese. Local farmers hauled their milk to the factory by horse-drawn wagons until milk trucks became more common. The cheese from this factory was sold as far away as Milwaukee. In the early 1950s, the cheese factory closed.
The restoration depicts the appearance and condition of the factory from the time it was built. The Schubert Cheese Factory was an important part of the commercial activity at Diefenbach Corners.
Erected 2008 by Washington County Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 06-001.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
Location. 43° 21.207′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4432 Arthur Road, West Bend WI 53095, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Winter Farm (approx. 1.1 miles away); Timmer’s Resort (approx. 1.6 miles away); Cedar Lake Yacht Club (approx. 1.6 miles away); Maxon-Wright House (approx. 2 miles away); St. Lawrence Church (approx. 4 miles away); Great Divide (approx. 5.1 miles away); Home of Reuben John Schmahl (approx. 5.6 miles away); Washington County Courthouse Square (approx. 5.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 20, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 557 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 20, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.