Rockport in Aransas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Old Beach Road
The Bay Side Inn, located midway down the road, had a long pier with a bathing pavilion at its end. The residents of the neighborhood were allowed to use the pavilion, along with the hotel guests. Rockport’s cemetery was also on the road in the 700 block but was later moved to its present location.
The 1919 hurricane sent a 10-foot surge over the road and destroyed many of the homes, but some survived, including the Baylor-Norvell, Hanks, and Sorenson houses. One Sorenson house was spared the storm’s fury because the broken structure
Winifred Evans Lowther remembered her Rockport childhood years in her 1973 autobiography, The Old Beach Road.
Erected 2011 by Visionaries in Preservation, Aransas County Historical Society, Inc., Texas Historical Foundation, Texas Tropical Trail/Texas Historical Commission, Aransas County Historical Commission, City of Rockport, and Margaret Sue Rust Foundation. (Marker Number 1.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1919.
Location. 28° 0.944′ N, 97° 3.164′ W. Marker is in Rockport, Texas, in Aransas County. Marker is on Water Street, 0.1 miles south of East Morgan Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900 Water Street, Rockport TX 78382, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baylor-Norvell House (approx. ¼ mile away); Shipyards in Rockport (approx. ¼ mile away); Mathis House (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Cedars (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sorenson-Stair Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Moore House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rockport’s Grand Hotels First Methodist Church of Rockport (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockport.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 21, 2012. This page has been viewed 1,001 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 21, 2012. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.