Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Southwest Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Workingman’s Hall

1879

— Berkeley History —

 
 
Workingman’s Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, March 21, 2012
1. Workingman’s Hall Marker
Inscription.  Originally located at Sixth and Delaware streets, this simple wooden building was constructed by volunteers from the Workingman’s Club, a west Berkeley political organization. Built as a reading room for laborers, it was used briefly as Berkeley’s town hall shortly after completion. In 1882, a Methodist congregation moved the building to this location. It later was home to a succession of churches, schools, and fraternal organizations.

The rustic gabled structure without ornamentation is among Berkeley’s oldest buildings. When Black Pine School acquired the property, the building was carefully restored creating a new space for art and drama.
 
Erected 2005 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicChurches & ReligionEducationGovernment & PoliticsLabor Unions. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
 
Location. 37° 52.056′ N, 122° 17.793′ W. Marker is in Berkeley, California, in Alameda County. It is in Southwest Berkeley.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is on Seventh Street south of University Avenue, on the right when traveling south. The marker is mounted on the building and may be viewed through the gate. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2016 Seventh Street, Berkeley CA 94710, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 935 Hearst Avenue (approx. 0.2 miles away); Spenger’s Fish Grotto (approx. 0.2 miles away); Church of the Good Shepherd (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bowen’s Inn/Higgins Grocery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Delaware Street Historic District (approx. ¼ mile away); Toveri Tupa – Finnish Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); American Photoplayer Co. (approx. half a mile away); Fullen Market Building (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley.
 
Workingman’s Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, March 21, 2012
2. Workingman’s Hall Marker
Workingman’s Hall, now Black Pine School image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, March 21, 2012
3. Workingman’s Hall, now Black Pine School
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2023. It was originally submitted on March 23, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 772 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 23, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=53836

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 25, 2024