Near Moncks Corner in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Wadboo Barony: Francis Marion’s Last Headquarters
On August 29, 1782, a British foraging party, made up of white and black troops and commanded by Maj. Thomas Fraser, attacked Brig. Gen. Francis Marion and his militiamen at Wadboo, where they had camped the night before. Arranging his Brigade around the main house and slave quarters and along a lane of large cedar trees (across the creek from here), Marion beat back the British attack. During the engagement, Maj. Micajah Ganey, a former Tory who had recently come over to the Whig side in a treaty at Burch’s Mill, fought heroically with Marion.
From shortly after the skirmish until the British abandoned South Carolina in December, Francis Marion made Wadboo his headquarters. Here on December 15, 1782, the day after the British evacuation
Erected 2012 by Francis Marion Trail Commission of Francis Marion University.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 33° 11.753′ N, 79° 57.193′ W. Marker is near Moncks Corner, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker can be reached from State Highway 402 just north of State Highway S-8-44, on the left when traveling west. Marker is at a boat landing. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moncks Corner SC 29461, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wadboo Barony (a few steps from this marker); Stony Landing House (approx. one mile away); Colleton House: “Unmanly Practices” or Legitimate Target? (approx. 1.1 miles away); Fort Fair Lawn: An Archeaological Treasure (approx. 1.1 miles away); C.S.S. David (approx. 1.1 miles away); Berkeley County Confederate Monument (approx. 1.1 miles away); Santee Canal (approx. 1.2 miles away); Biggin Church (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moncks Corner.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,672 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 25, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.