Niagara-on-the-Lake in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada
Artillery was vitally important to the defense of Upper Canada. Due to a shortage of heavy cannons available in the province, there were only five garrison guns mounted inside Fort George in May of 1813.
Moving large cannons weighing several tons was a challenge. The easiest way to move guns was by water. Movement by land was slow and labour intensive and could expose the men moving them to enemy fire. Bad weather and poor roads could also make the movement of large guns very difficult. After the destruction of Fort George by the Americans, the British were forced to leave behind their garrison artillery. Seven months later, the Americans also left behind a number of serviceable artillery pieces when the British forced them to abandon Fort George.
Shortly after the period of the War of 1812, the motto of the Royal Artillery became 'Ubique' (Latin for 'everywhere'). The reality of war often made this a challenging motto to live up to.
Erected by Parks Canada.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Forts and Castles • War of 1812. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1813.
Location. 43° 15.069′ N, 79° 3.719′ W. Marker is in Niagara-on-the-LakeTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 51 Queen's Parade, Niagara-on-the-Lake ON L0S 1J0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Six Pounder Field Gun (here, next to this marker); Guns Gins and Devil Carts (a few steps from this marker); Sir Isaac Brock's First Burial Site (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Battle of Fort George (about 90 meters away); Fort Niagara (about 90 meters away); A Strategic Site (about 90 meters away); a different marker also named Fort Niagara (about 120 meters away); a different marker also named A Strategic Site (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niagara-on-the-Lake.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 29, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 557 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 29, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 4, 5. submitted on September 24, 2019, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 6. submitted on March 29, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.