Tarpon Springs in Pinellas County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Rose Cemetery, also known as Rose Hill Cemetery, established in the early 1900s as a segregated cemetery, is the oldest African-American cemetery in Pinellas County. Located on approximately five acres of land, the cemetery reflects the social history and cultural traditions associated with Christianity and early African-American customs. Many of the African-Americans buried here were of Bahamian descent, and some of their graves are marked by large conch shells. Although the earliest grave marked states 1904, there are strong indications of earlier burials. Rose Hill Cemetery Association was first incorporated on November 22, 1916, when the Lake Butler Villa Company gave the African-American board members a 99-year lease. The following year, in 1917, the property was deeded to the Association. Through the 1950s Rose Cemetery served other black communities throughout the county. Many difficulties through those years, including destroyed records, haphazard burials, and limited funding, resulted in many unmarked and misplaced graves. Significant burials included the founders of the local African-American churches started in the 1890s, and
A Florida Heritage Site
Erected 2003 by The Rose Cemetery Association, Inc. and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-474.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1835.
Location. 28° 8.919′ N, 82° 44.162′ W. Marker is in Tarpon Springs, Florida, in Pinellas County. Marker is on North Jasmine Avenue, 0.2 miles north of East Tarpon Avenue (County Road 582). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tarpon Springs FL 34689, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Memorial Flag Pole (a few steps from this marker); In Honor of Veterans of All Wars (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Ignatius of Antioch Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Tarpon Springs High School (approx. one mile away); Commercial Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); Railway Express Company Building II (approx. 1.1 miles away); Railway Express Company Building 1 (approx. 1.1 miles away); Railroad Depot (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tarpon Springs.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 29, 2012, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,281 times since then and 257 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 29, 2012, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on March 30, 2012, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. 9. submitted on July 24, 2018, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.