Lancaster in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Water Towers in Buchanan Park
Near this site stood two water towers that for approximately seventy years were part of Lancaster’s skyline. In the early twentieth century the Conestoga River was the sole source of public water in the city. As the west end grew, distance from the reservoir at the eastern end of the city resulted in insufficient water pressure in this neighborhood. At first the city constructed a reservoir in Buchanan Park, around the site of the wading pool, to increase water pressure, but when the reservoir failed the city built the two towers in 1925 and 1932, respectively. Franklin & Marshall students and townspeople alike referred to the older structure, with its pointed top, as George, and the younger tower, with is low dome, as Martha.
The water towers became obsolete when Lancaster began drawing its water supply from the Susquehanna River during the 1950s. Although some preservationists and nearby residents urged the city to preserve the towers as pieces of Lancaster’s history, when the cost of maintenance exceeded their value as scrap metal, the city chose to demolish the towers in 1996.
< Second Marker : >
Franklin & Marshall College
Carolyn and Robert S. Wohlsen ‘50
whose generosity made possible
major improvements to Buchanan Park in 2003
including removal of the foundations
of the Water Towers.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Man-Made Features.
Location. 40° 2.794′ N, 76° 19.24′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is on W Frederick Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located at the north end of Buchanan Park, near Franklin & Marshall College. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lancaster PA 17603, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Klauder-Apple Walk (within shouting distance of this marker); Franklin & Marshall College September 11 Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Richard Kneedler Sculpture Garden (about 300 feet away); Whitehead Plaza (about 300 feet away); Frank E. and Eva L. Manning Alumni Green (about 400 feet away); Benjamin Franklin (about 600 feet away); John Marshall (about 600 feet away); William J. Iannicelli '48 (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
More about this marker. Relief images of the two water towers appear at the top of both markers.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 416 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.