Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Historic District - North in Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

1812 Wesley Chapel

 
 
1812 Wesley Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, February 2008
1. 1812 Wesley Chapel Marker
Inscription.  Savannah Methodism's first church building was erected on this corner of Lincoln and South Broad (now Oglethorpe) streets in 1812 by its first pastor, Rev. James Russell. Bishop Francis Asbury preached twice in Wesley Chapel on November 21, 1813. In 1819-1820 under the preaching of William Capers the membership grew rapidly, and in 1821 John Howard enlarged the building to care for 100 new members. By 1848 this "good, neat house, sixty by forty feet", became too small; at a new location its successor, Trinity, was built.

Among the early pastors of Wesley Chapel were James O. Andrew, George F. Pierce, Ignatius A. Few, and Thomas L. Wynn.
 
Erected 1977 by Savannah - Area Methodist Heritage Society , South Georgia Commission on Archives and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial Era. In addition, it is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher series list. A significant historical month for this entry is November 2006.
 
Location. 32° 4.566′ N, 81° 5.351′ W. Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. It is in the Historic District - North. Marker is at the intersection of Oglethorpe Avenue and Lincoln Street, on the left when traveling east on Oglethorpe Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Conrad Aiken (within shouting distance of this marker); Nathanael Greene, Maj. Gen., Continental Army (within shouting distance of this marker); Police Officers Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Barnard House (within shouting distance of this marker); Police Station Steps (within shouting distance of this marker); James Habersham (within shouting distance of this marker); Joseph Habersham (1751-1815) (within shouting distance of this marker); Great Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1820 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
 
Regarding 1812 Wesley Chapel. Currently the building is used by a law firm.
 
1812 Wesley Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, February 9, 2008
2. 1812 Wesley Chapel Marker
1812 Wesley Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, September 11, 2011
3. 1812 Wesley Chapel Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2023. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,311 times since then and 93 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   2, 3. submitted on March 8, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=5447

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 12, 2024