Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Church and Ninth Streets
Several notable churches, including First Baptist and Westminster Presbyterian, both demolished, once stood on Church Street. The building to the right of Monument Terrace was former1y the office of Lynchburg’s newspaper, The News and Advance. The building was designed by Richard Allen and completed in 1931as one of the city’s premier examples of Art Deco architecture. Carter Glass owned the News and Advance from 1888 until his death in 1946. He served as Secretary of the Treasury and in the House of Representatives for sixteen years. During his twenty-six years as a U.S. Senator, he coauthored legislation that
The eighteen-story Allied Arts Building on your right, Lynchburg’s tallest building until 1972, is another fine example of Art Deco architecture and was completed in 1931. Architects Stanhope Johnson and Ray Brannan designed it. The base is covered with greenstone, a type of stone quarried in commercial quantities only in Lynchburg.
Lynchburg is a city rich in the history of Virginia and the nation. As with any city, some of our sites and buildings that reflect that history have changed over the centuries since Lynchburg’s origins in the 1750s. You can see for yourself the city’s historic places and how they have changed or remained intact. Just let the map guide you to the many historical markers that are located downtown. Enjoy learning about Lynchburg!
The Lynchburg History marker program is a partnership of the City of Lynchburg Museum System, Dept. of Communication & Marketing and Dept. of Parks & Recreation, discoverlynchburg, Lynchburg Historical Foundation, and Lynch’s Landing
Erected 2011 by The Lynchburg History Marker Program.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Communications • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Art Deco, and the Time Capsules series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1925.
Location. 37° 24.861′ N, 79° 8.573′ W. Marker is in Lynchburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Ninth Street and Church Street, on the left when traveling south on Ninth Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lynchburg VA 24504, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lynchburg (within shouting distance of this marker); John Lynch (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines of the Spanish American War (within shouting distance of this marker); Carter Glass (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Lynchburg History (within shouting distance of this marker); World War II (within shouting distance of this marker); Korean War (within shouting distance of this marker); Mr. Elder’s Rose Garden (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lynchburg.
More about this marker. On the lower left is a photo of "Carter Glass" – Courtesy Lynchburg Museum System
In the center is a photo of "Monument Terrace with Confederate Monument and Lynchburg Museum" – Courtesy LynchburgHistory.com
On the lower right are images of "Firemen’s Fountain (removed to Miller Park in 1924)" Courtesy LynchburgHistory.com and "Church Street looking west from 9th Street" Courtesy Lynchburg Museum System
Also see . . .
1. Lynchburg Museum System. (Submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
2. Lynchburg History. Historic photos & maps of Lynchburg, VA (Submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 538 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.