Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The first wharf built here was used to bring in granite blocks for the Fort at Sandy Hook. Later, cannon to be tested at the Sandy Hook Proving Ground were received here. In the 1890s barges arrived carrying the materials to build Fort Hancock. Today, the docks are used by the U.S. Coast Guard.
Sandy Hook Proving Ground operated from 1874 to 1919. Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 23.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts or Castles. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey - Fort Hancock Walking Tour series list.
Location. 40° 27.884′ N, 74° 0.415′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Kessler Road, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Protecting American Coasts (a few steps from this marker); 200 Years of Service (a few steps from this marker); Ferry Landing and Chapel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Officers Row (about 300 feet away); Post Chapel (about 400 feet away); Rodman Gun (about 400 feet away); Post Theater (about 400 feet away); Mule Barn (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a photo of the wharf with a caption “The wharf was built in the 1850s. Here cannon were delivered for testing in 1918.” A photo at the upper left of the marker shows troops at the wharf and has a caption of “In World Wars I and II troops left from here to begin their journey overseas. Troops (above) muster in 1943.”
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 318 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.