Napoleon in Henry County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Civil War Camp Latty
Camp Latty was located at the corner of Riverview and Glenwood Avenues in Napoleon, Ohio and included Glenwood Cemetery in its grounds. This camp was named for Judge Alexander S. Latty, a staunch supporter of the Union. From October to December 1861 the 68th Regiment was organized. The 68th Regiment then took part in the Battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, the Siege of Corinth, the Battles of Hatchies’s Bridge, Port Gibson, Raymond, Champion Hill, the Siege of Vicksburg, the Meridian Campaign, the Atlanta Campaign, the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain, the Battle of Atlanta, the Siege of Atlanta, the Battle of Jonesboro, Sherman’s March to the Sea, the Carolinas Campaign, the Battle of Bentonville, the Surrender of Johnston’s Army, and the Grand Review in Washington, D.C. The 68th Regiment served in every Confederate State except Florida and Texas.
Back Text : "Civil War Camp Latty"
Robert Kingston Scott became the Colonel of the 68th Regiment in 1862. Scott was with Major General James B. McPherson when McPherson was killed in the Battle of Atlanta. Scott was captured and later exchanged.
Erected 2011 by Henry County Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society . (Marker Number 3-35.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 41° 22.907′ N, 84° 8.548′ W. Marker is in Napoleon, Ohio, in Henry County. Marker is on West Riverview Ave (Ohio Route 424) west of Glenwood Avenue. This historic marker is located in the southwest side of Napoleon, at the northern entrance to Ritter Park, which is just off of state route 424. The marker is situated Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Napoleon OH 43545, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Riverfront Industries Powered by Canal Water / How Napoleon Kept Its Name (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Henry County Courthouse (approx. 1.1 miles away); Prairie Des Mascoutins / Damascus (approx. 7.3 miles away); Winchester's Camp No. 3/Fort Starvation / The Old Kentucky Burial Grounds (approx. 8.8 miles away); Draining the Great Black Swamp (approx. 9½ miles away); Oak Tree (approx. 9½ miles away); Two Canals (approx. 9.6 miles away); Lock No. 13 & Independence Dam (approx. 9.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Napoleon.
More about this marker. Across the street from the historic marker, and directly across the street from the park entrance, there is a residential driveway with a low brick retaining wall lining the north side of the driveway. Inside of this brick retaining wall there is a cut stone marker that also commemorates the location of Camp Latty.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 829 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 18, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.