Near McClure in Henry County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Prairie Des Mascoutins / Damascus
In 1742, a tribe of Kickapoo requested permission from Montreal's Governor to move to a Mascoutin village on both sides of the river here. French "Coureurs de Bois" traders named the wide floodplain "La Prairie des Mascoutins" (The Meadow of the Mascoutin). In 1764, Captain Thomas Morris explored this newly acquired British territory, and met the prophetic dreamer Chief Katapelleecy here. General Anthony Wayne's troops victoriously returned from The Battle of Fallen Timbers in 1794 and burned "Prairie de Masque." The Treaty of Detroit in 1807 created a hunting reservation to the east, allowing settlers to acquire the surrounding lands. Ethnic tensions climaxed in 1812, when an American Captain Logan was mortally wounded near here. The Indian Removal Act of 1830 caused the remaining tribes to move west.
Back Text : "Damascus"
After the War of 1812, Samuel Vance, brother of future Governor Joseph Vance, built a log tavern and trading post at Prairie de Masque. Edwin Scribner settled here in 1816, building the area's first sawmill on Dry Creek. By 1823, all of modern Henry County
Erected 2001 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Liberty Center Historical Society, Inc., and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 1-35.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 41° 24.662′ N, 84° 0.46′ W. Marker is near McClure, Ohio, in Henry County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 24 and Ohio Route 109, on the left when traveling west on U.S. 24. This historic marker is located along the southeastern edge of the parking lot for a small Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Liberty Center OH 43532, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oak Tree (approx. 2.3 miles away); James Durbin (approx. 3.3 miles away); The Henry County Courthouse (approx. 6.2 miles away); Riverfront Industries Powered by Canal Water / How Napoleon Kept Its Name (approx. 6.4 miles away); St. Patrick’s Church (approx. 7 miles away); Providence Historical District (approx. 7 miles away); The 150th Anniversary of the Great Starvation (approx. 7 miles away); Civil War Camp Latty (approx. 7.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 591 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 17, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.