Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Thomaston in Knox County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Near the Old Prison / À Coté de l'Ancienne Prison

Thomaston, Maine

 

— The Museum in the Streets —

 
Near the Old Prison / À Coté de l'Ancienne Prison Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., September 20, 2011
1. Near the Old Prison / À Coté de l'Ancienne Prison Marker
Inscription.  
Near the Old Prison
The Georges Hotel stood at the intersection of Main and Georges Street where there now is an empty lot. It burned to the ground leaving the three chimneys standing. On a very windy day several years after the fire, one of the chimneys was blown over on a man who happened to be walking past the site. His absence was realized only when the debris was cleared. Following that tragedy, the other two chimneys were quickly removed. Below, the woman walking across Wadsworth Street, at the "Upper Corner", was Mrs. Sanford, a noted photographer in Thomaston. The corner of what is now the Prison Show Room can be seen on the right of the photograph. In 1892 the building housed the J. B. Pearson Clothing Factory, a major employer of seamstresses who made men's clothing.

À Coté de l'Ancienne Prison
L'Hôtel Georges était situé à l'angle de la Grande Rue et de Georges Street, où rien n'a été construit depuis. Un jour, l'hôtel est détruit par un incendie et seules ses trois cheminées subsistent. Bien plus tard, un jour de grand vent, l'une de celles-ci s'écroule sur un malheureux
Main Photo on Near the Old Prison / À Coté de l'Ancienne Prison Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Unknown, undated
2. Main Photo on Near the Old Prison / À Coté de l'Ancienne Prison Marker
Courtesy of Thomaston Historical Society
Click or scan to see
this page online
passant dont on ne décourvre le corps qu'une fois les débris retirés. Bien entendu, cette tragédie conduit au démantèlement quasi-immédiat des deux cheminées restantes. Sur l'autre photographie, la femme qui traverse Wadsworth Street est Madame Sanford, une photographe locale, à l'époque connue de tous. Derrière elle, on aperçoit le coin de ce qui est aujourd'hui la salle d'exposition de l'ancienne prison. En 1892, ce bâtiment était l'usine textile de J. B. Pearson qui employait de nombreuses counturières pour la confection de vêtements pour hommes. A l'origine, Wadsworth Street se nommait Meeting House Road.

 
Erected by The Museum in the Streets®. (Marker Number 12.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicIndustry & CommerceWomen. In addition, it is included in the The Museum in the Streets®: Thomaston, Maine series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
 
Location. 44° 4.667′ N, 69° 11.438′ W. Marker is in Thomaston, Maine, in Knox County. Marker is at the intersection of City Avenue / Main Street (Maine Route 131) and Georges Street, on the right when traveling east on City Avenue / Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Thomaston ME 04861, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Former State Prison Site (about 500 feet
Near the Old Prison / À Coté de l'Ancienne Prison Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., September 20, 2011
3. Near the Old Prison / À Coté de l'Ancienne Prison Marker
away, measured in a direct line); Maine State Prison (about 500 feet away); War Memorial (about 800 feet away); The Voyage of Captain George Waymouth (approx. 0.2 miles away); Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thomaston Historical Timeline (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Builders, the Captains and the Seamen of Thomaston Ships (approx. 0.4 miles away); Thomaston, Maine (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thomaston.
 
Also see . . .
1. Museum in the Streets Information. (Submitted on April 20, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Early History of Thomaston. (Submitted on April 20, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Empty Lot Where Georges Hotel Once Stood image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., September 20, 2011
4. Empty Lot Where Georges Hotel Once Stood
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 605 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 20, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=54671

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 19, 2022