First Dam Across The St. Joseph River / Power Race
First Dam Across The St. Joseph River
The original dam, providing power for which Mishawaka was noted, was completed in 1837. It was 577 feet long, 24 feet thick and cost $38,000.00.
Along this race, providing water power, and along its counterpart across the river, early Mishawaka factories were located. These industries produced flour, lumber, woolen goods, iron, boots, shoes, furniture, coffins, barrel staves, saddles and harness, and wagons, valued at many hundreds of thousands of dollars each year. (Marker Number 71.1968.1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list.
Location. 41° 39.752′ N, 86° 10.676′ W. Marker is in Mishawaka, Indiana, in St. Joseph County. Marker is on N. Race Street 0.1 miles north of E. First Street when traveling north. Marker is located along Mishawaka River Walk. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mishawaka IN 46544, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
More about this marker. Park along N. Race Street at the rear of the Mishawaka Police Department and take the Mishawaka River Walk to the marker. The marker is visible when looking north from N. Race Street (dead end street).
Also see . . . Mishawaka Riverwalk. (Submitted on April 22, 2012, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2012, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana. This page has been viewed 483 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 22, 2012, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.